Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society was formed in spring 2002.
The founders were anglers, birdwatchers, conservationists, biologists and concerned local residents. It unites a group of individuals who are concerned about the increasing amount of garbage being left along the Chilliwack/Vedder River.
The society has two major objectives:
- By using an "Adopt-a-River" model, to organize groups and individual volunteers who wish to clean up the river.
- To educate the public on the value of the river and the need to keep it clean.
The society has accomplished the followings:
- Since 2002, CVRCS has hosted over 37 group clean-ups, including 11 World Rivers Day celebrations.
- Over 5,577 volunteers have participated and each clean-up is four hours long, resulting in around 23,308 hours of volunteer work!
- Currently there are 25 groups involved in the Adopt-a-River program.
- Since 2002, over 78.59 tonnes of garbage have been removed from the Chilliwack Vedder River riparian areas.
There are currently eleven board directors in the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society.
The Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society would like to recognize and thank the following sponsors who have been supporting our projects tremendousl.
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- City of Chilliwack
- Fraser Valley Regional District
- Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve
- Chilliwack Fish & Game Protective Association
- Tim Hortons
- Barton Insurance Brokers
- Nikki Rekman Sales
- Fishing with Rod Production
We can always use more support! Funding is limited for our volunteer events, we always need sponsors to donate garbage bags, gloves, pick-up tools, usage of dumpster bins, refreshment for volunteers, etc. If you would like to become a sponsor of Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society, please contact us with your proposal.
You can send your concerns, questions and ideas to us by email.